photo header_abhaya_zps721a0d73.png

 photo nav_home_zpsfd56deeb.png photo nav_about_zps4d2fbda0.png photo nav_contact_zpsd0708482.png photo nav_partner_zps9b152967.png

10.09.2012

Soothe Your Throat >> Soothe Your Soul

Hi, guys. We were supposed to go to the mountains for a hike today, but instead we are taking our kitty in to the vet. She's prone to painful crystals forming in her bladder (TMI?) because sometimes she doesn't drink enough water, but usually we're able to catch it quickly and coerce her into drinking more. This time though, she doesn't seem to be getting better, so in we go. Her appointment isn't for a couple of hours, so I have a little extra time to work on blog stuff instead. Well, when life gives you lemons...you should whip this little recipe up...? ;)
When I came across this in my Facebook feed a few weeks back, I knew I had to make it. It sounded too simple, too smart, too obvious not to make it. I often suffer from frequent sore throats and dry, awful coughs in the winter, in particular following any type of cold or upper respiratory thing. The coughing gets so bad sometimes that it keeps me up at night. I have tried pretty much every cough syrup out there, including prescription ones, and I am here to tell you that they do not work. What does work? Honey! It really coats your throat and soothes that tickly feeling.

Here's how to make this simple elixir. You'll need:

> a glass container that seals
> enough lemons to fill it
> honey
> 1"-2" piece of ginger root

Slice. Fill. Done.
Refrigerate. After awhile, the lemons will sort of dissolve into a jelly-like substance, and you can just add a spoonful or two to hot water when you feel like you need a little self-care. In addition to the honey coating your throat, the lemons help to cut mucous, and the ginger works as a natural decongestant. The jar should last 2-3 months in the refrigerator. According to internet lore, this stuff is ubiquitous in Asia, and you can buy it pre-made in any grocery store there. But what fun is that?

While I certainly hope I don't get sick and need to use this, I'm glad I already have this mixed up and ready to go for when that inevitable first cold strikes. If only it worked for cat bladder problems!

shanti >> sondra

Get updates via: RSS * BLOGLOVIN' * FACEBOOK * TWITTER


6 comments:

  1. Felicia Melendez10/9/12, 2:50 PM

    Yum, I'm totally making this! Thanks for sharing. I'm a huge fan of lemons and honey especially! Poor thing though about the TMI I hope your kitten feels better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I'll have to try this. I've made garlic honey in a very similar way (yuck, right?) for helping out when you feel like you're starting to get sick, but this sounds like it tastes a hell of a lot better..

    ReplyDelete
  3. abhaya_sondra10/10/12, 6:46 PM

    Garlic honey?! Sounds effective, but I don't think I could make that happen for my mouth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. abhaya_sondra10/10/12, 6:50 PM

    Thanks, she's already on the mend and back to being her rascally self. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds like exactly what i need for my throat right now! this fall weather is beautiful but is definitely taking its toll on my throat!

    ReplyDelete