photo header_abhaya_zps721a0d73.png

 photo nav_home_zpsfd56deeb.png photo nav_about_zps4d2fbda0.png photo nav_contact_zpsd0708482.png photo nav_partner_zps9b152967.png

4.02.2013

Doggie Bag >> Pumpkin + Flax Treats

I don't know what got into me, but all of the sudden I thought it would be a good idea to make my own dog treats. I think it was because I saw a pin on Pinterest for treat recipes, and I didn't realize how easy it was to make your own. They're basically just weird flavored people cookies.

I am always scanning the ingredients list of the store-bought treats we get, and I only buy them if all of the ingredients are actually recognizable as food. The other thing I look for is price, and some of those fancy whole-food treats can get pretty expensive. Why? I have no idea. These were the cheapest thing ever to make. Don't have a dog? These would make awesome gifts for the dog lover in life!
Pumkin + Flax Dog Treats
(adapted from White on Rice Couple)
1 14.5oz can pureed pumpkin
1/4 c. brown sugar
3 eggs
1/3 c. olive oil
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. flax seeds
3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
3 1/2 c. whole wheat flour

Preheat oven to 350. Mix ingredients in order listed, stirring thoroughly after each addition. When it came to adding the last few coups of flour, I mixed with my hands, which was easier. The dough should be pretty stiff and sticky. Roll out to 3/8" thickness (mine were definitely not that precise), and use LOTS of flour for this.

Then, cut out into whatever shapes you like! I wanted smallish treats, since our dog is a monster and wants many treats all. the. time. These are about 1 1/2" in diameter, and I used an empty honey jar to cut them out. Of course, you could get cutsey and find dog-themed cookie cutters to use as well. Piko isn't too into aesthetics; she said circles were fine with her.

Bake for about 30 minutes for smaller shapes like these; adjust the time based on the size/shape you choose.
The best part about making these was how many it made. I got well over 150 treats from this batch, plus Piko stole some of the rolled out dough while the first batch was baking. She was an ever-loyal watchdog throughout the process, staring at me in case I accidentally dropped anything on the floor. What a lady! I had all of the ingredients on hand, except for the pumpkin, so these were c-h-e-a-p to make. Win!

Let me know if you try making these!

shanti >> sondra

Get updates via: RSS > BLOGLOVIN' > FACEBOOK


8 comments:

  1. Those look awesome! Piko looks like such a good helper! I wonder if you can make cat treats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, she's such a cutie! are you going to freeze a bunch to use later, or do you think they'll keep?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They come out pretty hard and crunchy, so I think they'll keep for quite awhile. If they start to seem funky I'll toss them, but I bet she finishes them before that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. abhaya_sondra4/3/13, 8:51 PM

    Oh, yes, I do remember your posts about that! That's a great tip about sugar, I did not know that. I even have molasses in the cupboard, shoot! Although, she gets into e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g food related that she can. In the last couple of months, she has eaten at least two granola bars, part of a boxed brownie mix, and a container of (sweetened) yogurt -- all pilfered from CLOSED cabinets and my purse! And that's just the sweets she's eaten! At christmas she ate an entire load of banana bread. I probably shouldn't add to her sugar-mania, huh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. abhaya_sondra4/3/13, 8:52 PM

    They came out pretty crunchy, so I think they'll keep a good while. If they start to look funky, I'll toss em, but I bet she eats them all before that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll definitely try this! Jen's parents have two pups that we live with, so I want to spoil them, especially since they just lost their brother dog in March and you can tell when they are sad. I've actually wanted to try to make dog treats, cat treats and bird bread for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahah too funny. Polly (our coon hound) gets into EVERYTHING too, she once ate an entire tray of cupcakes off the stove when i went to take a shower! she has eaten sticks of butter, tin foil, you name it- she's tried it! oi!!

    i'm a bad mama sometimes and let her lick the beaters after i'm done baking for us. but the amount of sugar she is getting is very minimal. it's not going to kill them to have a little sugar - just not the best thing. especially after all the research i just got done doing because of lola and her cancer. it was pretty scary to read that sugar actually caused cancer to speed up. i think that's why i'm so freaked by it right now for the girls.



    xx
    trisha
    veranellies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I think I'm going to give the chicken one a whirl. I'm not too sure my cats would like cheese. I wonder how long they keep...

    ReplyDelete